Where will we finish?

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc

First place and glory, or 10th and gloom?

1st
7%
2nd
2%
2nd and promoted
No votes
3rd
9%
3rd and promoted
2%
4th
37%
4th and promoted
No votes
5th
30%
6th
9%
7th
2%
8th
2%
9th
No votes
9th and relegated
No votes
10th
No votes

Total votes: 46

gruezi ffc
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Re: Where will we finish?

Post by gruezi ffc » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 04:18:50 PM

Bula Bairn wrote:Luca has strengthened the defence and Austin and strengthened the forward line though...

Agree that losing Alston and Vaulks is a blow but Alston always seemed first to be subbed when picked and I just don't see anything to fear from the other sides.

The players and staff should have more belief now after finishing 2nd and losing less games than anyone else...
All depends on who he plays. He may have strengthened the defence with Luca but possibly weakened it with Kidd. I dont think we offer anything down the right hand side of the park with Kidd and Craigan there. That will be our weakness. Both Alston and Vaulks put in a power of work to help defend, but also to try and chase on once we moved the ball up the park. We now dont have that typr of player.

Up front Austin looks a talent but still a bit raw. He will take some time to get used to playing in a higher league. Can see Houstie going with the tried and tested to start the season.

As stated before, our big problem will be midfield. With all the holding midfielders, we are going to get overrun with no attacking option !
Come the revolution......George will be first against the wall :D

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 10:05:53 PM

Bula Bairn wrote:We finished 2nd last season so winning the league has to be a realistic aim.

Our defence and forward line is now stronger and there's no more Rangers - nothing to fear from the others sides in this league.
Aye but the midfield is weak as p1ss.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Sunday 21st 2016f August 2016 01:35:42 AM

My 89-90 feeling might be a bit fecking optimistic it seems.

Keep voting guys, let's see what everyone thinks of our side this season.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Sunday 21st 2016f August 2016 09:55:17 PM

Can't believe I was as optimistic as I was in voting 5th. Unless we strengthen PROPERLY in the middle of the park then we will do feck all and be just above the relegation zone by the end of the season. And no, its not knicker wetting, its based on terrible results and awful performances to date.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Monday 22nd 2016f August 2016 09:06:22 AM

I know, I'm the same :lol:

Would probably go for a desperate 7th now. Above Morton, Dumbarton and Ayr.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Bernard Shakey
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by Bernard Shakey » Monday 22nd 2016f August 2016 03:25:35 PM

Still think that we will huff and puff our way to 4th but its not going to make pretty viewing.
Awful things that can never be unseen:
Olive getting her paps oot in Holiday on the Buses
Thatcher on the steps of 10 Downing St 1979
Ross County 7, Falkirk 0

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 10:52:23 AM

Olaf Thom wrote:I think its fair to say games are won and lost in midfield

We have lost 2 in Vaulks and Alston; replaced with Craigen and Rankin.
Leaving us to choose Kerr, Tiawo, Hippolyte, Craigen, Kerr, Sibbald and Rankin

Vaulks was 22 and scored 14 goals for the club in 3 years, not bad considering he played in defence for a large part of that.
Alston was 24 and scored 24 goals for the club in 6 years.

Lets do the same with the remaining midfield
Kerr is 34 has been playing for near 18 years (Gulp) and scored 14 career goals - 3 in the past 5 years
Taiwo is 26 and has 10 career goals - only 4 in Scotland over the past 4 years
Hippolyte is 21 and has 4 top flight career goals in 60 games
Sibbald is 22 - 16 goals in a 140 games
Craigen is 25 and has scored 15 goals in 100 games, 9 of which were last season.
Rankin is 33 and has scored 44 goals in 400 odd games. But 12 goals in the last 5 years.

In rough terms the goals scored by our entire current midfield 6 over the past 5 years is about the same as the 2 that have left! What makes it worse is that Craigen hasn't scored more than 4 in any other season except for last year when he got 9.

We have got no chance this season, not only have goals been taken from the team - but Vaulks had height, power and strength for set-plays. Alston was the only midfielder with enough pace to join in counter attacks and get beyond the strikers.

To have any hope, we need Sibbald to score about 10 goals, this is nearly double his goal to game ratio and Craigen to continue his Raith Rovers goal form.

Seems Unlikely to me, we might get 4th but we'll be close to the bottom that the top in terms of points.

Oh look! Back in July someone predicted this. :roll:
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Big 60
Well New

Post by Big 60 » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 11:31:28 AM

I say we will end up 6th in the league for the following reasons

I thought Peter Houston was going to be the savour of Falkirk FC, But it’s turned out the opposite.
He has brought the Club Back ten years as far as the type of football we play. At least under Elvis and Holt we
played a mixture of youth and accomplished players and played our own brand of football. Sorry, Houston has
signed players that do the circuit every so often and are classed as solid professionals or young players that he
never plays. We also have a few good young players that he should be trying out in the squad.
His brand of football is antiquated and will not see Falkirk getting promotion any time soon. I say, cut our losses
and get a young manager. The BOD surely can see this?????????

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 12:47:02 PM

Jim Duffie?
He's got unfinished business with us.
Here comes the doom.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 02:58:30 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:

Vaulks was 22 and scored 14 goals for the club in 3 years, not bad considering he played in defence for a large part of that.

Kerr is 34 has been playing for near 18 years (Gulp) and scored 14 career goals - 3 in the past 5 years
Craigen is 25 and has scored 15 goals in 100 games, 9 of which were last season.
Rankin is 33 and has scored 44 goals in 400 odd games. But 12 goals in the last 5 years.

In rough terms the goals scored by our entire current midfield 6 over the past 5 years is about the same as the 2 that have left! What makes it worse is that Craigen hasn't scored more than 4 in any other season except for last year when he got 9.

We have got no chance this season, not only have goals been taken from the team - but Vaulks had height, power and strength for set-plays. Alston was the only midfielder with enough pace to join in counter attacks and get beyond the strikers.

To have any hope, we need Sibbald to score about 10 goals, this is nearly double his goal to game ratio and Craigen to continue his Raith Rovers goal form.

Seems Unlikely to me, we might get 4th but we'll be close to the bottom that the top in terms of points.

Yes, there were about half a dozen of us who spotted how things were panning out. Well done us.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 03:55:24 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Olaf Thom wrote:

Yes, there were about half a dozen of us who spotted how things were panning out. Well done us.
Yes well done you. We are still closer to the top than the bottom and in terms of realistic expectation we are short on goal difference at the moment so as bad a season as it has been we're not as far as where I would expect us to finish. I think we can all agree that Rankine was the most unnecessary signing and we are completely imbalanced because of that.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 04:28:06 PM

The vast majority could see all this coming apart from bula Bairn and Houston himself it would seem.

Bula Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bula Bairn » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 05:41:37 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:The vast majority could see all this coming apart from bula Bairn and Houston himself it would seem.
Don't see anything wrong with what I posted months ago. Yes, we've underperformed and not replaced Alston and Vaulks but still nothing to fear from the other sides - the standard has been woeful.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 06:19:22 PM

Whilst I agree we have nothing to fear from the other sides unlike last season the other teams have nothing to fear from us. We are sadly predictable, lacking pace, guile and even seemed to have lost the magnificent team spirit from last year. Noticeable with pretty much everyone fit it took McCracken to get injured in the warm up for any of the summer signings to be involved v Dunfermline. Even Houston now therefore admits he hasn't signed a single player in the summer who gets in his first team.

Back Post Misses
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Back Post Misses » Wednesday 28th 2016f December 2016 08:29:05 PM

We will finish 3rd or 4th and probably win the first play off game then get horsed by DU or Hibs.

I can't see both Morton and Raith finishing above us. We are still pretty much difficult to beat and if Houston could get the mix midfield to forward right we should get to where I predict. Won't be pretty though
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 03:56:34 AM

Begs the question if armchair amateurs can spot the deficiencies in the squad, what is our manager doing, apart from sharpening his pencil on the golf course?
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 12:23:07 PM

I said 5th at the start of the season and if Raith win their game in hand 1-0 that's exactly where we will sit at the halfway point.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Back Post Misses
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Back Post Misses » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 01:36:10 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:I said 5th at the start of the season and if Raith win their game in hand 1-0 that's exactly where we will sit at the halfway point.
The game in hand is v Morton.

We will still be 4th as if Raith win we will likely go above Morton on GD.
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 04:55:31 PM

Back Post Misses wrote:
Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:I said 5th at the start of the season and if Raith win their game in hand 1-0 that's exactly where we will sit at the halfway point.
The game in hand is v Morton.

We will still be 4th as if Raith win we will likely go above Morton on GD.
they would need to win by more than a goal
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 01:19:14 AM

Think we are in a false position at the minute. We arent as good as the table suggests. Still see us 5th unless we improve drastically.