Where will we finish?

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc

First place and glory, or 10th and gloom?

1st
7%
2nd
2%
2nd and promoted
No votes
3rd
9%
3rd and promoted
2%
4th
37%
4th and promoted
No votes
5th
30%
6th
9%
7th
2%
8th
2%
9th
No votes
9th and relegated
No votes
10th
No votes

Total votes : 46
International Regular

Where will we finish?

Postby Ranaldo Bairn » Saturday 23rd 2016f July 2016 05:42:02 PM

Go on then, I know we've only played three matches, but what are your early impressions?

I will admit that I put us 5th.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

International Regular

Re: Where will we finish?

Postby Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 23rd 2016f July 2016 05:50:48 PM

With two of our best players away and no real extra investment in the side I'd agree with you.

First Team regular

Postby Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 23rd 2016f July 2016 06:32:31 PM

I think after having seen all three cup games my euphoria from last season has now come down to earth with a bump. Lost two very good players and not one of the new signings gets me excited. Gasparotto looks good but I was happy with Watson and soon to be fit grant there anyway.

I think hibs and dundee United are far better than us and St mirren Raith and pars could beat us too. So for me we will finish fourth or fifth.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Reserve sub

Postby John Markie » Saturday 23rd 2016f July 2016 09:26:12 PM

Cant see us finishing higher than 5th. Terrible signings, and selling the only true leader in the team speaks volumes - especially when he is replaced by Rank Bad Yin.

Beginning to wish I hadn't been daft enough to believe Houston when he said we'd need players with more physicality and presence - then failed to sign any. Rankin and the other midfielder aren't exactly towering colossus' in middle of the park, and not what the manager claims we needed after last seasons failure at Rugby Park.

And, because of the number of times Houston played him, we still have McCracken on the books. Poor management Mr H.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Reserve sub

Postby Honest Al » Sunday 24th 2016f July 2016 08:47:32 AM

After showing the qualities of a first class manager, Houston has baffled many by his approach to the start of the season. Gasparotto aside, they look workmanlike at best, and as for 4-5-1.....how many times does Peter need to watch that formation fail with the players chosen?

5th, at best, but fear we may have lost touch with the top 3 after a few games.
Last edited by Honest Al on Sunday 24th 2016f July 2016 04:19:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Sunday 24th 2016f July 2016 11:00:26 AM

I think its fair to say games are won and lost in midfield

We have lost 2 in Vaulks and Alston; replaced with Craigen and Rankin.
Leaving us to choose Kerr, Tiawo, Hippolyte, Craigen, Kerr, Sibbald and Rankin

Vaulks was 22 and scored 14 goals for the club in 3 years, not bad considering he played in defence for a large part of that.
Alston was 24 and scored 24 goals for the club in 6 years.

Lets do the same with the remaining midfield
Kerr is 34 has been playing for near 18 years (Gulp) and scored 14 career goals - 3 in the past 5 years
Taiwo is 26 and has 10 career goals - only 4 in Scotland over the past 4 years
Hippolyte is 21 and has 4 top flight career goals in 60 games
Sibbald is 22 - 16 goals in a 140 games
Craigen is 25 and has scored 15 goals in 100 games, 9 of which were last season.
Rankin is 33 and has scored 44 goals in 400 odd games. But 12 goals in the last 5 years.

In rough terms the goals scored by our entire current midfield 6 over the past 5 years is about the same as the 2 that have left! What makes it worse is that Craigen hasn't scored more than 4 in any other season except for last year when he got 9.

We have got no chance this season, not only have goals been taken from the team - but Vaulks had height, power and strength for set-plays. Alston was the only midfielder with enough pace to join in counter attacks and get beyond the strikers.

To have any hope, we need Sibbald to score about 10 goals, this is nearly double his goal to game ratio and Craigen to continue his Raith Rovers goal form.

Seems Unlikely to me, we might get 4th but we'll be close to the bottom that the top in terms of points.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Reserve superstar

Postby billybairn » Sunday 24th 2016f July 2016 05:02:04 PM

Baird seems to have lost form completely

Vaulks and Alston gone.

Toothless performances so far.

I don't think we will carry as much luck this season as we did last.

Can't see us finishing above 5th, but would like to be surprised.

First Team regular

Postby havenbairn » Thursday 28th 2016f July 2016 12:57:39 PM

I have to say I am becoming increasingly concerned about the direction in which our club is going.

We have been in the Championship for 6 years and would appear to have little hope of promotion this year.

We have lost 2 of our best players and our player recruitment seems to be all about adding quantity rather than quality.

What has happened to our strategy of bringing through our own young players from the Academy and giving them first team experience.

Reserve first team

Postby JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 28th 2016f July 2016 01:51:42 PM

havenbairn wrote:I have to say I am becoming increasingly concerned about the direction in which our club is going.

We have been in the Championship for 6 years and would appear to have little hope of promotion this year.

We have lost 2 of our best players and our player recruitment seems to be all about adding quantity rather than quality.

What has happened to our strategy of bringing through our own young players from the Academy and giving them first team experience.

Think only Mr Houston can answer that question Havenbairn?????????

International Sub

Postby Back Post Misses » Friday 29th 2016f July 2016 07:14:01 PM

JaxinFalkirk wrote:
havenbairn wrote:I have to say I am becoming increasingly concerned about the direction in which our club is going.

Think only Mr Houston can answer that question Havenbairn?????????

Ever thought there isn't any good enough?

I was at the game last night and I thought only Gallacher, who I thought looked class, looks up to it to me.

I would be tempted to get him in the side sooner rather than later and maybe try Leahy in front of him
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Reserve first team

Postby Bootneck Bairn » Saturday 30th 2016f July 2016 03:49:23 PM

I think we will finish 4th this season.

it will be a slow start to the season that will see us off along with a couple of really, shocking results against "bottom three" teams.

I think we will just finish above 5th place by 1 or 2 points.

I hope i am wrong, but i just don't see us doing as we did last season. I think we can pretty much agree that we over achieved last season which will make this season even tougher to bare as we bounce about the mid table places.
Surely you can't be serious.

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley...

International Regular

Postby Ranaldo Bairn » Saturday 30th 2016f July 2016 06:16:41 PM

More convinced after today that we'll miss out on the play offs. The team just seems lethargic.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Under 18 first team

Postby Gbairn » Saturday 30th 2016f July 2016 11:06:35 PM

All the promotion/playoff contenders have strengthened, where as we appear to be weaker for the loss of Alston and Vaulks. Baird has peaked and he along with McCracken, Miller, Kerr and Rankin are in decline. We'll do well to be in playoff contention.

Reserve sub

Postby John Markie » Saturday 30th 2016f July 2016 11:15:40 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:More convinced after today that we'll miss out on the play offs. The team just seems lethargic.

Agreed. Disjointed and no drive that I could see.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Reserve first team

Postby Creative Redemption » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 09:20:36 AM

My tuppence worth.
I reckon Houston has agreed with the BoD that with the type of players he has bought and the money he has spent is to see him through to the transfer window in December.
If we are in the running (like last season) come December, I think the BoD will release funds to bring players in to get us secured in the play offs, and/or go for the title. Either way, we get some money back in to the club that way.
It seems a sensible way to go for it, if not inspiring.
Houston could have thrown money at the transfer window leaving nothing in the funds, and we end up struggling - could happen. So hedge our bets, bring in "seasoned pros" (ahem..) who know the score, a couple of promising youngsters, and roll the dice and see where it lands come the winter transfer window.
The quality of player available at Christmas is not always the best, but you are more likely to get a decent player in if we are sitting in the top 3 at that time.
Just my suggestion on what might be the thoughts of the Board.
It's a gamble, but we are not flush enough to throw money at this league with the quality of teams in it.
Here comes the doom.

Reserve first team

Postby Ricey » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 11:29:20 AM

I think it's all down to progress or otherwise made by our competitors that will decide where we finish. We certainly have regressed so will be closer to the chasing pack at best. Talk of investing more money in January if we are doing well is all well and good but availability is always poorer in January.

One angle that nobody has touched on is the boards faith in Houston. Maybe they have realised he isn't the best judge of a player but has done well getting the most out of what he has. On that basis giving him more cash isn't the answer as he will bring in more of the same. Personally if I was in the boards shoes I wouldn't want him spending any more money unless he was able to get a real talismanic signing.

First Team superstar

Postby Bula Bairn » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 12:16:45 PM

We finished 2nd last season so winning the league has to be a realistic aim.

Our defence and forward line is now stronger and there's no more Rangers - nothing to fear from the others sides in this league.

Reserve superstar

Postby gruezi ffc » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 01:18:25 PM

Bula Bairn wrote:We finished 2nd last season so winning the league has to be a realistic aim.

Our defence and forward line is now stronger and there's no more Rangers - nothing to fear from the others sides in this league.

I would argue that its not. The only positive is that Luca coming in has bolstered the defence a bit, but Lewis Kidd has not shown anything at RB to make me think he is a better than Aaron Muirhead. Watson in the middle of defence is always a bomb scare. Leahy is generally picked out as the weak link with balls over his head....and with Rodgers still flapping at cross balls we lose a lot more goals than we did last term.

Alston and Vaulks moving on has really caused a huge upset to the balance of the team. We have lost two guys who delivered a huge number of goals from midfield and also helped to cement the link up play between defence and the front men. The replacements have been anything but inspiring and can be classed more as holding midfielders than wanting to push forwards. More tippy tappy back/sideways passing will be the order of the day. Creagan looks well off the pace, although industrious and the jury is still out on Rankine.

Our only bright spark is Austin up front. Baird has lost it and you can pick either Miller or McHugh to partner him. Either way, with the midfield we have, they will not get much support and goals will be few and far between.

Its going to be a long hard season and 5th may the best we can hope for.
Come the revolution......George will be first against the wall :D

First Team superstar

Postby Bula Bairn » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 02:24:04 PM

Luca has strengthened the defence and Austin and strengthened the forward line though...

Agree that losing Alston and Vaulks is a blow but Alston always seemed first to be subbed when picked and I just don't see anything to fear from the other sides.

The players and staff should have more belief now after finishing 2nd and losing less games than anyone else...

International Regular

Postby Ranaldo Bairn » Sunday 31st 2016f July 2016 02:41:10 PM

I just have a "1989-90" feeling about this season.

Let's hope there are no nights out planned on the Ayrshire coast...

Next

Return to Falkirk FC