Artificial Pitches

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Artificial Pitches

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 04:43:42 PM

I fully admit I used to absolutely detest artificial pitches and have said such on this forum, however, this season I have started to become a convert. Why?

(1) The fact that even in torrential rain there isn't as much as a puddle on the pitch and certainly no muddy goal mouths (like some recent SPL grounds), todays game would have been on if Dundee had a pitch like ours. If we are to play in cold wet Scottish winters then surely this is the way to go?
(2) As the quality of these pitches improve the difference between the quality of play between artificial and grass is negligible and I could argue watching Falkirks slick passing game this season it allows us to play a better and more consistent brand of football
(3) The ability to be able to train on our own pitch and generate additional revenues from games, concerts etc
(4) Cancelled games cost money and hassle for fans (like today), lower attendances etc - being able to know that they are fairly tolerable of rain, frost and snow means a greater confidence in the games being on and less revenue lost here as well as the above extra revenue being generated
(5) Less care required in terms of cutting, feeding, replacing turf etc

Anyone else coming round to these pitches now?
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Bula Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: Artificial Pitches

Post by Bula Bairn » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 05:04:16 PM

Our pitch is superb - was convinced after seeing our first match on it.

oot_the_loop
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by oot_the_loop » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 05:15:47 PM

They are most certainly the way forward. Thats why I'm convinced the SPFL will ban them.

Newborn Bairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Newborn Bairn » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 05:29:06 PM

The new pitches are as good as the better grass pitches. However, whilst we've got thick footballers greetin that artificial pitches cause injuries, they won't be fully accepted.

pillpusher
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by pillpusher » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 06:27:33 PM

IF all the pitches were the same standard as ours and as well maintained then there would be less argument, however there is a fairly large variation in quality amongst the pitches in Scotland.Pitches like Alloa's give credence to the doubters dismissive attitude to them.

IMO we need to install high quality artificial pitches in far more locations across Scotland indoor and outdoor.
HAGI! HAGI! HAGI! HAGI!

Quidsin
Experianced Manager
Experianced Manager

Post by Quidsin » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 07:38:35 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:I fully admit I used to absolutely detest artificial pitches and have said such on this forum, however, this season I have started to become a convert. Why?

(1) The fact that even in torrential rain there isn't as much as a puddle on the pitch and certainly no muddy goal mouths (like some recent SPL grounds), todays game would have been on if Dundee had a pitch like ours. If we are to play in cold wet Scottish winters then surely this is the way to go?
(2) As the quality of these pitches improve the difference between the quality of play between artificial and grass is negligible and I could argue watching Falkirks slick passing game this season it allows us to play a better and more consistent brand of football
(3) The ability to be able to train on our own pitch and generate additional revenues from games, concerts etc
(4) Cancelled games cost money and hassle for fans (like today), lower attendances etc - being able to know that they are fairly tolerable of rain, frost and snow means a greater confidence in the games being on and less revenue lost here as well as the above extra revenue being generated
(5) Less care required in terms of cutting, feeding, replacing turf etc

Anyone else coming round to these pitches now?
Pretty much in a nutshell, all of the above. There was surprise and scepticism when the BODs made the decision to go artificial. But recent events at the time, most notably our attempts to get the pitch ready for a Cup game in vain, was the straw which broke the camels back. We had to go artificial to stop that shambles happening again. We installed a high quality pitch (unlike Alloa's and QOS) and it's paying large dividends for the reasons listed by Bridge Of Allan Bairn. I couldn't see a puddle on the pitch during the Dumbarton deluge, and that confirmed to me we made the right decision. We probably re-used the leftover drainage system as well, which also helps. I'll say again, well done BODs, another double six.
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"

NUMBER 7
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by NUMBER 7 » Saturday 09th 2016f January 2016 08:37:44 PM

I have been impressed with our Artificial Pitch, it seems to play better in the wet than on drier days ( Spring Summer).
Also there have been shots hit / goals scored off that surface that wouldn't have happened on grass, the ball flies off the surface when wet. An example being Millers 2nd v Livingston on a grass pitch a keeper would have saved that header, but the pace / bounce off the artificial surface resulted in the goal.

Bigbri
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by Bigbri » Sunday 10th 2016f January 2016 12:11:55 AM

Agreed. The pitch is excellent and produces more consistent performances. Remember when we played during the winter at Ochilview. You needed scuba gear to play on the wings.

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Sunday 10th 2016f January 2016 08:28:03 AM

Our pitch is a credit to Falkirk FC and has set the standard for artificial pitches in Scotland.

The SFA should insist that all new surfaces are installed to a similar standard.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Sunday 10th 2016f January 2016 09:34:50 AM

kent brockman wrote:Our pitch is a credit to Falkirk FC and has set the standard for artificial pitches in Scotland.

The SFA should insist that all new surfaces are installed to a similar standard.
Perhaps the SFA should insist that all spectators wear Canada Goose jackets to watch games being played on artificial surfaces?
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Falkirk Till I Die
International superstar
International superstar

Post by Falkirk Till I Die » Sunday 10th 2016f January 2016 10:14:48 AM

It's grass before artificial all day every day for me. There is still something not quite right about the bounce etc for me. However, if we had the money like the English Premiership Clubs have to buy the lighting systems etc to keep the grass lush, I would never want artificial.
It's the best solution for a country like Scotland for the second tier teams like us. It won't be that long until we need to replace it, hopefully with an even better surface as technology advances.

A13FFC
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by A13FFC » Sunday 10th 2016f January 2016 03:27:54 PM

Kiddy wrote:
kent brockman wrote:Our pitch is a credit to Falkirk FC and has set the standard for artificial pitches in Scotland.

Perhaps the SFA should insist that all spectators wear Canada Goose jackets to watch games being played on artificial surfaces?
The technology we now have has to be used where possible, no doubt that the artificial surface can give smaller clubs a new revenue stream but the need to be of a minimum standard, you only have to look at Alloa to see just how bad it can be, had it not been for a few directors and KB there is no doubt that we would have had something very similar.
The push at the time was that if we were going for 3G then we needed to go for the very best possible, there is no doubt that even now ours is still the best 3G pitch in Scotland.

In a perfect world you would have grass, but no doubting that we have the next best thing.

For me though the best option would still be summer football.
Support the team not the regime!!

Bula Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bula Bairn » Friday 12th 2016f February 2016 09:04:24 PM

I wonder if Wishart has even seen our pitch?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35565379

I think we've got the best pitch in Scotland bar none at the moment.

kennyboy
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by kennyboy » Saturday 13th 2016f February 2016 09:52:32 AM

Some pitches that clubs play on in the European cup are Artificial. Take Wembley for instance it is 60 percent Artificial and grass you don't get many complaints. ABERDEEN said that our pitch is the best they have played on..

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 13th 2016f February 2016 02:53:19 PM

In my view the artificial pitch debate will swing in the years to come. All the academy players now coming through are brought up on these surfaces and virtually 100% prefer it. The dinosaur players who were brought up to hate the sand based older style versions simply are unable to change their views because its ingrained in them. It's like say a skoda which was a brand mocked when I was a youngster some people still wouldn't have one because of that. The cars they produce now bare no resemblance to the ones from years gone by and a youngster wouldn't think twice about owning one

smoba
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by smoba » Wednesday 17th 2016f February 2016 04:37:50 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392

Maybe not so great after all ...

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Wednesday 17th 2016f February 2016 04:58:25 PM

:lol: what a load of bollocks!
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Friday 07th 2018f September 2018 09:15:39 AM

Holt claiming responsibility for the installation of our artificial surface. Can't seem to remember if this was widely known at the time :?:
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Friday 07th 2018f September 2018 09:39:58 AM

Did he pay for it and lay it himself?

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Friday 07th 2018f September 2018 10:15:10 AM

Anyone know how much we make off our artificial pitch hires and why Campbell Craigs community lot seem to use the old Woodlands high pitch instead of it for their football teams. Surely be better if that cash was coming into the club?