revised season expectations ??

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Re: revised season expectations ??

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Tuesday 13th 2018f February 2018 12:09:20 PM

If you're going to go out (which every team, possibly excepting Morton, would have done to us) then you may as well get a big cheque to ease the pain.

As long as we don't get done for 6 or 7.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 13th 2018f February 2018 10:55:04 PM

It’s interesting. Despite being little more than Championship bridesmaids (or more often) also rans for the best part of a decade, this is the first time where I have felt it near enough pointless looking for any possibility whereby we can get through this game with either a win or even forcing a replay.
With our current crop of defenders, and more importantly, the way they have failed miserably to get through a game without gifting chances/giving away stupid goals regardless of the opposition, then it’s just about impossible to come up with a plausible scenario that doesn’t involve us getting a bit of a going over.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Wednesday 14th 2018f February 2018 12:12:23 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Tuesday 13th 2018f February 2018 10:55:04 PM
It’s interesting. Despite being little more than Championship bridesmaids (or more often) also rans for the best part of a decade, this is the first time where I have felt it near enough pointless looking for any possibility whereby we can get through this game with either a win or even forcing a replay.
With our current crop of defenders, and more importantly, the way they have failed miserably to get through a game without gifting chances/giving away stupid goals regardless of the opposition, then it’s just about impossible to come up with a plausible scenario that doesn’t involve us getting a bit of a going over.
As dixie says there are zero expectations on us. I reckon we'll do quite well but just fall short, 3 one defeat. If it wasnt morton then this is probably the best draw for us.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 14th 2018f February 2018 04:38:54 PM

Yeah, expect to be comprehensively beaten all over the park with the exception of up front where we might be able to grab a goal or two, but feeling that even if we scored a couple of goals, we’ll concede more than that.
I would class the current Sevco as an aggressive and physical side that can rush and bully just about everyone on their day. Under that sort of intimidation, our midfield and defence does tend to wilt a bit.
It might well be one of those days when we start to play once the game is lost.
Low expectations, and probably just thankful for a reasonable pay day.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 15th 2018f February 2018 02:30:52 PM

Having a scan over our remaining fixtures, I reckon we will end the season in the 43 to 46 points band. There’s fixtures against St Mirren that I have written off completely, but there’s a game against the Fifers that I actually think we will win.
Franchise F.C. will probably do us again this season, then find themselves in the financial grubber again in the summer. Already 1.5 million in the hole with that debt supposed to have been converted to stock (which apparently hasn’t gone to plan) which will catch up with them again.
It’s the QotS, Morton and Dumbarton games where we really need to earn our points (as well as Brechin obviously).
I would think DUFC will be motivated enough to gain some sort of revenge for the 6-1 mauling, so I am not really expecting too much from there.
Any more than 46 points, and I reckon we are climbing a couple of places.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Friday 16th 2018f February 2018 08:59:42 PM

Survival then a clear out
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Quidsin
Experianced Manager
Experianced Manager

Post by Quidsin » Friday 16th 2018f February 2018 09:28:19 PM

With so many 6 month contracts in the squad I can see the majority, rightly or wrongly, leaving for pastures new. The proper rebuilding will happen in summer. 8th placed survival it is and a massive drop in league prize money. Lean times ahead.
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Monday 12th 2018f March 2018 07:40:57 PM

I will go with a prediction that IF we beat the franchise on Saturday, we will go on and catch the Fifers, and maybe ICT too.
If St Mirren win the league with a game or two to spare, then that last game of the season might just offer up a fairly straightforward 3 points that might just lift us one more last day league place.
Hardly has me excited, but every little helps from here on in.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Thursday 15th 2018f March 2018 10:17:18 AM

I hate it when we play a team on the last day of the season and they are celebrating winning the league.

Remember Partick Thistle at the Falkirk Stadium a few years back or even worse, away to Dunfermline. :flame:

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 15th 2018f March 2018 04:16:46 PM

Oh, was that our away attendance of 57? They were at the very peak of their spending money they didn’t have, and money they chose to never repay so much as one penny of.
That included a Livingstonesque avoidance of paying money owed to registered charities. They chose to sign players instead. Both clubs beneath contempt.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Monday 19th 2018f March 2018 03:49:35 PM

couple of weeks now without a game looking at others play so thought I'd look at the remaining games and stats.

we have 8 games to play. if our form is the same as our last 8 games winning 5 drawing 2 and losing 1 we'd finish on 51 points if the other teams round us have the same form in their last 8 games as their previous 8 we'd catch queens and pars and be pretty much neck and neck with Morton for 4th.

we still have more away games to play than home however we've only lost 2 of our last 6 away. we've st mirren to play twice however both games are very kate in the season when they might have nothing to play for. I think we'll need to win 5 or 6 of our last 8 games. it's doable but Hartley needs to go all out for wins as draws will kill us. we have Brechin at home next if we win that we need roughly 4 wins from 7.

it's not easy but recent stats show were not out if this yet. still to play queens and pars too they could be massive games
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Monday 19th 2018f March 2018 05:29:46 PM

Never mind the playoffs every position we gain scrapes more cash into next year's budget. We've got 400k to try and make up .

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Monday 19th 2018f March 2018 07:35:48 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Monday 19th 2018f March 2018 03:49:35 PM
couple of weeks now without a game looking at others play so thought I'd look at the remaining games and stats.

we have 8 games to play. if our form is the same as our last 8 games winning 5 drawing 2 and losing 1 we'd finish on 51 points if the other teams round us have the same form in their last 8 games as their previous 8 we'd catch queens and pars and be pretty much neck and neck with Morton for 4th.

we still have more away games to play than home however we've only lost 2 of our last 6 away. we've st mirren to play twice however both games are very kate in the season when they might have nothing to play for. I think we'll need to win 5 or 6 of our last 8 games. it's doable but Hartley needs to go all out for wins as draws will kill us. we have Brechin at home next if we win that we need roughly 4 wins from 7.

it's not easy but recent stats show were not out if this yet. still to play queens and pars too they could be massive games
Our 3 midweek games are all away from home against QOS, ICT and St Mirren.

I am loving your optimism, but just cant see us taking many points from those fixtures.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Monday 19th 2018f March 2018 07:52:59 PM

appreciate I'm being optimistic but it's definitely doable and having paid for season tickets and suffered most of the season I just hope the players still believe we can do it.

queens have only won 1 of their last 6 home games and that was with dobbie. Inverness form has plummeted not having won any of their last 4 and if st mirren gave the league wrapped up who knows?

we can still lose 2 or 3 games and do it as long as we win the others and don't draw games. our form is far better than those 3 teams above us so I'm going to the games with optimism for the time being
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Monday 19th 2018f March 2018 08:16:37 PM

I am not denying you your optimism, but if we were to lose three of our remaining eight games, you’d need Morton to lose five of their remaining seven, or DU to lose six of there remaining eleven.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 21st 2018f March 2018 01:04:53 PM

We are still in danger of going down, I cannot see why people are all looking up the table - instead of below.

Should Dumbarton win their game in hand they are only 4 points behind us, with us to play them away from home.

We have only 2 home games left. I don't think we will go down, but I think it might be squeaky bum time and we might have to rely on St Mirren downing tools.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Wednesday 21st 2018f March 2018 02:33:15 PM

apologies for being pedantic but we've 3 home games left and one of those is against Brechin. if we win that we'd be 10 points clear of Dumbarton and they don't play Brechin again. they've picked 12 of their 27 points up thus season against Brechin. against the other side they pick up an average of 0.65 points per game. they'd have to double thus average in their last games and that's assuming we don't pick up any more points from our other 7 games which for a team in very good form is unlikely. of course it's not impossible for Dumbarton to catch us but the above us why I still dare to look up the table rather than Down. the key will be keeping our post new year form going and hoping Morton in particular slip up somewhat

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Wednesday 21st 2018f March 2018 02:40:14 PM

Yes first and foremost we need to get safely away from Dumbarton and Inverness. If we were to lose the 4 away matches we have between the 3rd and 17th April, we could be back in 9th. If we win them all, we can look at 4th place as a possibility. I still feel we may climb another place or 2 but won't make 4th.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Wednesday 21st 2018f March 2018 02:48:16 PM

sorry forgot the St Mirren match was brought forward to Saturday

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Wednesday 21st 2018f March 2018 02:49:39 PM

no it wasn't :lol: :lol: :lol: