New accounts

Articles & Announcements - One F website/forum news, Bairnstrust events and announcements
Administrator
The Boss
The Boss

New accounts

Post by Administrator » Monday 12th 2011f September 2011 09:10:27 AM

Due to problems with spambots and such the forum has not been accepting new members for a while. I have deleted all accounts registered since June this year which were never activated so if you have registered since them you will need to do so again.

At the moment you can register and the account will be activated within 48 hours by an admin. Until the software is upgraded again this is about all we can do.

Administrator
The Boss
The Boss

Re: New accounts

Post by Administrator » Monday 12th 2011f September 2011 12:45:47 PM

In addition to the above, any new account registered with a gmail or hotmail address will likely not be activated as this is what the spam bots seem to be using now.

optimist
International Sub
International Sub

Post by optimist » Monday 12th 2011f September 2011 12:59:06 PM

Wait a minute. My account has been registered with a hotmail address, does that mean I'm getting deleted? Probably I don't understand.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Administrator
The Boss
The Boss

Post by Administrator » Monday 12th 2011f September 2011 01:08:04 PM

optimist wrote:Wait a minute. My account has been registered with a hotmail address, does that mean I'm getting deleted? Probably I don't understand.
It's just new accounts that won't be activated if they're being registered with a hotmail or gmail account. Anyone that's registered with one previously will be unaffected, should probably have made that clearer.

This is hopefully just a temporary measure until the software is upgraded and an effective spam-blocker can be installed.

If anyone registers using hotmail or gmail just now if they can make it obvious that they are a genuine user (i.e. if their username is football related) then their account will be activated. There isn't a blanket ban as such on registering with these email addresses but we're having to go through each new account in the admin panel 1 by 1 and it'd help if it was clear to us which accounts are from people rather than spam bots.

optimist
International Sub
International Sub

Post by optimist » Monday 12th 2011f September 2011 05:02:26 PM

Administrator wrote:
optimist wrote:Wait a minute. My account has been registered with a hotmail address, does that mean I'm getting deleted? Probably I don't understand.
It's just new accounts that won't be activated if they're being registered with a hotmail or gmail account. Anyone that's registered with one previously will be unaffected, should probably have made that clearer.

This is hopefully just a temporary measure until the software is upgraded and an effective spam-blocker can be installed.

If anyone registers using hotmail or gmail just now if they can make it obvious that they are a genuine user (i.e. if their username is football related) then their account will be activated. There isn't a blanket ban as such on registering with these email addresses but we're having to go through each new account in the admin panel 1 by 1 and it'd help if it was clear to us which accounts are from people rather than spam bots.
Cool
Always look on the bright side of life!